Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

BOB Books

I was given the opportunity to review a set of BOB Books by Bobby Lynn Maslen (published by Scholastic), little books that are designed to help kids learn to read.

Do you remember the first book you learned to read? I do. I remember because it was such a revelation to me that I could look at the words and they suddenly meant something to me. The book that I learned to read was called "Adventures with Mac". I'm not sure if it was the first line, but I clearly remember that one of the pages simply said "Mac the rat". Reading has always been my first love.

BOB Books could very well have the same impact on a child. They are short, small in size (therefore easy to hold) and there are never more than three or four words on a page. As my daughter is a pre-reader (she just started Kindergarten last week), these are the perfect books for her to try and start reading. So far, she knows all of the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make. Our school encourages and promotes early literacy, so I imagine she will be reading very quickly. Having a tool like this at home will definitely be an asset. I am excited for her to be able to learn with Mat and Sam and the rest of the troupe!

Esthetically, the books are appealing. The pictures are simple line drawings and depict what is happening in the story. The characters are quite cute (drawn by John Maslen) and the stories have comedic value (Sam sits on Mat). We haven't read through all of them, but I am sure we will be doing so very shortly! My two year old son has also taken an interest in them, which is nice!

All in all, I'd recommend these cute little books for early readers!

No comments:

 
google3a921ca9ea4130d9.html