Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Trivial Pursuit

On the subject of completely trivial topics and your need to know them, I've been wondering for some time what the coins were called that accompanied the Euro. I had never heard anyone refer to them before and, well quite frankly it had been puzzling me off and on. I mean here we have pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, loonies and toonies (which I think should be twonies, but it looks funny) - all ultimately referred to as "cents". The UK has the penny and 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 pence pieces as well as one and two pound coins (also called, I believe, "quid"). France had the centimes (formerly "sou") and the francs (which could be coin or paper). Uganda has cents and the shilling and it goes on.

Consult the Great Oracle Google.

Apparently they are called "cents" and that includes 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent coins. There are also 1 and 2 Euro coins. Aren't they pretty? They pretty much look like Canadian coins, with the exception of the 2, 20 and 50 cent coins, which we don't have. I have to say that the 2 Euro coins resembles the toonie an awful lot.

So there you have it - completely unsolicited trivia that may or may not be important to you ever.

On a side note, I finally got around to trying the bleach kit my dentist gave me for my teeth two years ago. I couldn't use it for awhile because I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and I admit I was worried that it might taste yucky. That can be a big deterrant for me. BUT...I am VERY pleased with the preliminary results I have to say. My teeth looked considerably whiter this morning. I could make out tiny fracture lines in my teeth though, which was a negative. I'll keep the world aprised ('cuz I know you all care!)

No comments:

 
google3a921ca9ea4130d9.html